Installing LuxRender on Ubuntu 10.04
Aug 14, 2010
You will definitely need this for cool web design :)
The installation instructions for LuxRender are available at the official LuxRender's website, but if you need quick'n'easy steps that just work, then read on:
If you need to install LuxRender in Blender 2.5, please check out this link. One thing should be emphasized - when you select the path for LuxRender with the 'folder button' it sets the relative path to Blender which doesn't work. You need to set the absolute path like /home/user/lux/...etc.
- Download bzipped LuxRender for your CPU type from here and extract it.
- Check the file permissions on the extracted files (right-click > properties > Permissions), "Allow executing file as program" should be checked on all files in Permissions tab, except LuxBlend_0.7.py. If not, set accordingly. You can change the permissions only as root, so open file browser from the shell (or by clicking Alt+F2) like so:
- Type in nautilus (file browser) Ctrl+L, and enter this location, change your_user_name to yourself :) /home/your_user_name/.blender/scripts/blender/
- Drag and drop LuxBlend_0.7.py from the extracted folder to the last opened window.
- Then in Blender: in the Settings (on top, if you can't see it, just drag the top border down) set File Paths: Set Scripts to (/home/your_user_name/.blender/scripts/blender/), and set Plugins (to opened folder).
- Ctrl+U to save these settings.
- When you start rendering the first time with LuxRender (Script > Render > LuxBlend), it will ask you for the LuxRender's path, provide it.